Friday, February 15, 2013

Quotes from Conviction to Lead by Albert Mohler

Recently, I have been doing a lot of study on leadership. I have been spending time on Michael Hyatt's blog, watching John Maxwell videos, and reading leadership books. One of the books I recently finished was Conviction to Lead: The 25 Principles for Leadership that Matters. I told my wife that it is a good thing that I was reading it on my Kindle because I would have worn out many highlighters.

Here are a few of the quotes I found significant:

  • The leadership that really matters is all about conviction. The leader is rightly concerned with everything from strategy and vision to team-building, motivation, and delegation, but at the center of the true leader’s heart and mind you will find convictions that drive and determine everything else.
  • I want to be a leader who matters, making a difference with my leadership precisely because my convictions matter.
  • For Christian leaders, this focus on conviction is of even greater importance. We cannot lead in a way that is faithful to Christ and effective for Christ’s people if we are not deeply invested in Christian truth. We cannot faithfully lead if we do not first faithfully believe.
  • Leadership comes down to protecting the story, bringing others into the story, and keeping the organization accountable to the story. The leader tells the story over and over again, refining it, updating it, and driving it home.
  • Leadership that matters grows out of the leader’s own belief that the story is true, that it matters, and that it must both expand and continue. The story must be believed with conviction, told with conviction, and stewarded with conviction.
  • The effective leader changes the way followers think about the world.
  • Passion is not a temporary state of mind. It is the constant source of energy for the leader, and the greatest cause of attraction for followers.
  • The effective leader knows that the expectation of character begins at the top. Those we lead will expect us to live and to lead in alignment with our convictions.

Trust me, there are many, many more nuggets like this in the book. If you are a leader, especially in a Christian environment, you cannot go wrong by spending time with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment