The second General Session of SYMC was just as incredible as the first night. Jon Acuff was the speaker and worship was led by the Jordan Howerton Band. While this session was not as powerful as the first night, let me share three highlights with you.
- The Jordan Howerton Band led the group in the most incredible version of “Victory in Jesus” that I have ever heard.
- Jordan Howerton shared with us the experience of being a father for the first time. As the father of four beautiful boys, it struck home.
- Jon Acuff shared an amazing story about a fifth grader who put mustard on his ice cream and his pride would not let him get a new bowl. More on this later.
Here are the notes I took during Jon Acuff’s message.
- Jesus had two favorite activities in the Bible: walking on water and journaling.
- The world is perfectly okay with teenagers living completely average lives.
- Youth workers have a job no one wants: It is considered a success when we have more teenagers.
- God is not in the job of better; He is in the job of new!
- Start before you are ready because being ready is a myth. We’ll never step into something that God’s not ready for.
- Stop keeping score.
- Always play to the size of your heart, not to the size of your audience.
- Stop trying to fix ourselves in areas we feel broken.
- Be sick, be loved.
- We serve a running God (story of the prodigal son).
Another great session!