Thursday, March 7, 2013

Three Awesome Things I Experienced At SYMC

This past weekend, I had the opportunity (and privilege) to participate in the Simply Youth Ministry Conference. Wow cannot even explain the weekend. You have to experience it for yourself to fully appreciate it.

Here are three things that made the conference so meaningful to me.

  1. I made a lot of new friends. I won't name drop anyone, but I developed relationships with people I never thought possible. Some of my biggest "heroes" in youth ministry turned out to be very approachable and sincere. It was awesome just to be around them and pick up things that would never be learned in a workshop or interview. I will say this: one of them doesn't know how to appreciate a good corned beef sandwich (cough...Josh Griffin...cough).
  2. God used everything to heal my heart. I went to the weekend still grieving and hurting from being fired in January. It was amazing the way everything (the music, the speakers, the skits, the people I met) worked to help reorient me to seeing Jesus and not my termination.
  3. I was surrounded by like-minded people. It was awesome to be with people who understood what I was dealing with. It was refreshing to hear their stories and to know that I was not alone and that my experience was not out of the ordinary. I was understood and that was a great feeling.

I realize not everyone had the same experience I did. My prayer is that God used the conference to work in everyone differently, but all to His glory.

Did you attend SYMC 2013? Will you be going next year?

1 comment:

  1. It's a very good conference. One of the things I learned last year (and had reinforced this year) is that the people all around you have great wisdom - not just the people on the stages!

    ReplyDelete