Dr. Berger has broken down the idea of going viral into six different areas. They seemed simple, but, as I look back on them, I can completely understand where he is coming from. I guess that is why he gets the big money.
The six areas are as follows:
- Social Currency - We share things that make us look good or help us compare favorably to others.
- Triggers – Ideas that are top of mind spread.
- Emotion – When we care, we share.
- Public – People tend to follow others, but only when they can see what those others are doing.
- Practical – Humans crave the opportunity to give advice and offer tips
- Stories - People do not just share information, they tell stories.
I realize that Dr. Berger did not write this Contagious: Why Things Catch On for ministry. However, there are so many ideas and tactics in the book that I think it is a must-read for youth pastors and others who want to make the Gospel go viral.