Monday, July 8, 2013

Looking For A Ministry Job - Lessons I've Learned

Many of you know that I am currently looking for a ministry position. I was serving at a church until January 2013 when I resigned in order to be done with a great deal of drama. The past six months have been a bit of a challenge, to say the very least. Here are three lessons I've learned during my search for the right church.

  1. The search is not an easy one. If you are looking, you can expect it to take a long time. I have sent out many, many resumes and had very little response. Some churches never respond. Others will turn you down immediately. The best thing to do is prepare yourself for the long haul.
  2. Be careful with your emotions. It is way too easy to get your hopes up about one particular job, only to have them dashed later. I have been interviewed, videoed, interviewed again, only to have the church go in another direction. Be careful not to get too excited about what is happening. It is appropriate to pray for a particular church. Just be careful not to get too caught up one possible job.
  3. Keep trusting God. I have had some really low moments during my search. After I was rejected by three churches in the same week, I was ready to hang it up. If I wasn't called to ministry, I would have given up months ago. Surround yourself with loved ones and friends who will keep you going and, by all means, keep your eyes on God. Only He will get you through the dark days.

If you are searching for a job, keep your head up. Know that God has called you to ministry and that He has a plan. Remember this, even when it seems like the search will never end. I'm praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment