Saturday, July 13, 2013

Planning Our Disney World Vacation - Resources to Check Out




Recently my wife and I took our family on a trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL.  We have four boys (all 7 and under), so this was a pretty big feat for us.  We were able to get a really good deal on a resort just a few minutes from the Disney World resort area and I received a great deal on tickets to the park through work.  We rented a car and drove from Charles Town, WV to Orlando (again, this was a huge undertaking).  While all of this sounds like a ton of work (it was), it was worth every minute to see how excited our boys were.


My wife and I are planners.  We agonized over detail of our trip, even to the point where we tried to plan out the rides and activities we wanted to do at each park.  To help with this, she and I used several books and websites to help us prepare.  If you are planning a Disney trip, I would highly suggest you take a look at these resources to help you make the most of your trip.

Books

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World with Kids 2013 - This is an excellent resource.  It covers every aspect of what a trip to Disney World with kids looks like.  The book covers nearly every ride in each of the parks and how your kids will relate to the ride.  There are also sections about the resorts and restaurants if you choose to utilize those options.  A few years ago, I met the author of the book at the Magic Kingdom and he was kind enough to give me a copy of the book.





Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2013 - We also used this book.  It has some great pictures and information, but I did not find it quite as helpful as the Unofficial Guide.  I would make this a secondary resource.







Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids 2013 - We got this book for our kids.  My oldest son pored over this book for hours trying to find what they wanted to do when we arrived.  This is a great book to share with your kids.



Websites

There are a number of Disney-related websites, but the three below are the ones I used pretty extensively.  There is a lot of really great information and you should take time to check them out.  My favorite is WDWinfo.com where you can find examples of the menus from each restaurant at the parks.

AllEars.net

MouseSavers.com

WDWinfo.com

Visiting Walt Disney World is an awesome experience.  I love going there and can't wait until we have the opportunity to go again.  However, a trip like this requires a good deal of planning.  There is so much to do that if you don't have a plan, you will get overwhelmed very fast.  Make use of the resources and have a great time!

All of the books shown above are available at Amazon.com, your local bookstore, and (if you are lucky like we were) your local public library. Happy planning!

1 comment:

  1. We are heading to Disney in 2 days - can't wait. We found good trip planning info at www.budget4disney.com

    ReplyDelete