Friday, July 12, 2013

Ten Scripture Passages to Memorize

One of the most under-utilized biblical disciplines is Scripture memorization. Very few people put a lot of time into memorizing the Bible, myself included. I used to spend a lot of time doing it, but seem to have fallen off the wagon in recent months. It is an area of my life that I am making a concerted effort to improve. As a youth pastor, I expect my students to "hide God's Word in their hearts," so I need to be doing the same myself.

The other day David Mathis wrote at a great article at Desiring God called "Ten Passages for Pastors to Memorize Cold." He offers some great commentary on why we should memorize those passages. I'll let you read the article to get the commentary, but below are the passages he says all pastors should know.

  • Psalm 23:1-6
  • 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
  • Matthew 28:18-20
  • Psalm 46:1-11
  • Colossians 1:15-20
  • Philippians 3:7-11
  • Galatians 5:22-23
  • Romans 8:28-39
  • Numbers 6:24-26
  • Jude 24-25

I am going to make it my goal to memorize those passages as soon as I can to keep working on learning them until they become second nature. How about you? Anyone up for a challenge?

What other passages would you add to this list? What are you currently working to memorize?

No comments:

Post a Comment