Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chapter Notes: Who Do You Think You Are? Chapter 1

In his new book, Who Do You Think You Are?, Pastor Mark Driscoll uses the book of Ephesians to identify the many different identities that we have as believers in Christ. Through fifteen different chapters, Pastor Mark shares how we should identify ourselves if we are found in Christ.

In the first chapter, called "I Am ___________?" we are shown that the major problem in the world is the fact that we have no sense of who we truly are. We have lost sight of the fact that we image bearers of God. Instead, the majority of us identify ourselves with other things. Using the acrostic IDOLS, Pastor Mark writes that we find our identity in other things, things outside of Jesus Christ. These things include:

  • Items
  • Duties
  • Others
  • Longings
  • Sufferings

While I personally do not struggle with finding my identity in items, I do struggle with finding my identity in my duties. I struggle with not knowing who I am if I am not a youth pastor or involved with a church. That is where I often my worth. The reality is that my worth is not in youth ministry or a position at a church. My worth comes from Jesus Christ and I will be worthy even if I am never on staff at a church again.

I will continue to share my thoughts and key ideas as I work my way through the book. If you have not picked up a copy for yourself, I would highly suggest that you do so. I would also love for you to share your thoughts with me on each chapter as well.

Recommended Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment