Saturday, January 5, 2013

Goals for 2013 - Memorizing the Books of Ephesians and Philippians

The other day I wrote a post about my goals for 2013. I didn't make a lot of goals, but I did come up with some things that I think would be good for me as a pastor and an individual.

One of those goals was to memorize the books of Ephesians and Philippians. I broke the book of Ephesians down into easy to manage chunks, typically about 6-8 verses each. Each day I am to read and study the verses for that particular week, usually about 10 times a day. The goal is to have the verses committed to memory by the end of the week.

Following this pattern, it should take me about 26 weeks or so to memorize the book. After that, I will review the book once a day for about 100 days. Doing this is supposed to firmly imprint the text in my memory.

I realize that this is a huge task, but I am not going to stress about getting it accomplished. The goal is not to be able to recite a book of the Bible perfectly. The goal is to be completely bathed in God's Word and to flush my mind with the words written by Paul.

Are you attempting to memorize any Scripture this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment