Saturday, January 26, 2013

Looking For Opportunities to Preach

The other day I was reading through Quitter by Jon Acuff. In the book, he was talking about how he wanted to speak at Catalyst on the main stage. For those of you who don't know, Catalyst is a very large leadership conference that takes place in Atlanta, usually in the fall. He had been invited to do a workshop (or lab), but he and his friends were really hoping that he would be asked to speak on the main stage.

As I was reading this, it made me think of another book that I had read called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. In this book, Gladwell talks about how the Beatles had to play night after night after night in dive bars and other unsavory locations before they ever became the phenomenon that they eventually were.

I say all this because I'm in the same place. I posted on my Facebook the other night about how I wished the college I graduated from would extend an invitation to me to come preach. I know that it will never happen for a number of reasons. We do not share the same ministry philosophies. I am not currently pastoring anywhere. I have different views on the Bible translation issue. Anyway, let's just say that it will not happen. And I am okay with that (sort of).

My desire, though, is to have the opportunity to preach elsewhere. To have the opportunity to share God's Word with a congregation. I want to continue to improve and sharpen the talents that God has given me. I get to speak every day to my students at school, but there is nothing like sharing God's Word. It is an awesome responsibility to stand up as the messenger of God. If you visit my Sermons page, you can see that I have some opportunity in the past. Those times were a blast.

I said all that to say that I am looking for opportunities to preach. They don't have to be huge arenas or megachurches. Just looking and praying for opportunities. It's hard to be out of the game, so to speak.

Recommended Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment